Foods called “superfoods” have an exceptional amount of nutrients and are healthy for the body. They perform different functions of nourishment, cleansing and clearing the body of toxins. Various foods including Acai berries, avocados and blueberries are just some of the foods that have gained the title of superfoods.
These foods are healthy and are high in nutrients. Many of these foods have high antioxidant levels which means they can assist in neutralizing oxidation in the body. This can act as a preventative to disease and allow for a healthier life overall.
Superfoods can be any color and eating a diverse diet ensures that there are plenty of nutrients and antioxidants to fuel and repair the body.
Here are some of the top superfoods:
- Berries – Blueberries are well known superfoods, but nearly all berries offer nutrients and antioxidants. Fresh blackberries, cranberries, strawberries, and more are available as a high fiber and low-calorie addition to the diet. They contain antioxidants to fight free radicals in the body. Blueberries contain anthocyanins which give them their dark pigment and also help with heart health.
- Mushrooms – Mushrooms have been used in ancient traditional medicines to cleanse the body and promote a healthy life. Some mushrooms are adaptogens meaning they are utilized by the body in the areas where they are needed most. They are currently being researched for cancer prevention and treatment.
- Nuts and Seeds – All nuts are a good source of fat, fiber, and protein. They keep you fulfilled all day and can help to relieve risks of heart disease and obesity. Walnuts contain antioxidants are great for the brain, and Brazil nuts contain selenium which is an important mineral. Flaxseeds, chia seeds and hemp seeds make a great addition to smoothies and salads and contain vitamins, minerals, and omegas for health.
- Leafy Greens – Eating dark leaf greens will bring added nutrients into your life. Dark leafy greens include kale, arugula, collard greens and Swiss chard and more. These contain chlorophyll which may reduce the instance of certain cancers by reducing free radicals in the body.
- Citrus Fruits – Citrus fruits are considered a superfood because they contain fiber and Vitamin C. Citrus fruits including oranges, limes, lemons, and grapefruits are low in calories and have a high water content. They hydrate the body at a cellular level which can prevent early aging and bodily decay.
- Fermented Foods – Eating fermented foods like kimchi, kombucha, miso, sauerkraut and yogurt ca help with gut health and can promote healthy bacteria in the gut microbiome. Probiotics can be found in supplement form and can also come from foods. Fermented foods contain live bacteria that can help to ease inflammation.
- Pomegranate – Pomegranates are dark in pigment and therefore contain healthy anthocyanins and also have a high nutritional content. Some research has shown that pomegranates are healthy foods for the heart and can help to prevent cardiovascular disease.
- Garlic and Onions – Garlic and onions are allium vegetables, including chives, leeks, and green onions. These have antiviral and antibiotic properties and can help maintain the immune system. They are also healthy for people with diabetes, high cholesterol, and high blood pressure.
Eating a diet that is diverse is essential for health maintenance and adding superfoods into the diet can bolster the nutrient levels leading to sustained energy and health. Eating foods in a variety of colors, shapes and sizes is one way to insure you are receiving all necessary nutrients.
Try integrating a few superfoods into your meals each day and begin to see a difference in health, balance, energy, and performance.
She is the author of Vitamin Weed, Kratom is Medicine, CBD Oil For Health, Train Your Brain To Get Thin, and Journal Yourself To Health.